Thursday, September 27, 2007

Dan Price

Material Transformation Project: Silver
16” x 20”
Sterling Silver
2007

This project features an heirloom silver spoon I got from my mother. I polished the spoon to a mirror finish and captured an image of Woodward Avenue in it. I then flattened the spoon and used the material to fabricate a whistle, which I used to capture the attention of passerby at the same spot on Woodward Avenue.




Dan Price is Assistant Professor of Art with a joint appointment to The Residential College and the School of Art and Design at the University of Michigan. He holds a B.A. in Fine Art from the Colorado College and a M.F.A. in Sculpture with honors from The Rhode Island School of Design.

Price has exhibited his videos and sculpture at the Institute of Contemporary Art, London; Triple Candie Gallery, New York; White Columns Gallery, New York; and at the Rhode Island School of Design Art Museum in Providence.

Before coming to the University of Michigan, Price taught high school in South Africa, and completed a two-year course of study as a Core Student at the Penland School of Art and Crafts in North Carolina. He has worked for several design firms including NODESIGN in New Orleans and The Glass Project in Jamestown, Rhode Island.

“My studio practice incorporates the use of many media, but is unified by an interest in humor and struggle. I present my work to evolve questions about the interdependence of technology and human relationships. Material Transformation Project: Silver is third in a series of artworks in which I attempt the poetic transformation of various materials. The transformative processes range from shredding to soldering. As a practice, the work lives somewhere between sculpture, performance and photography.”

No comments: